Monday, March 5, 2012

Observation 1

The moment I clicked on the Facebook Page I'm transported to a world that makes some people uneasy and nervous while for others it is a safe zone, one they can be comfortable in. Self Injury Awareness is a page dedicated to awareness and support for self injury of all kinds and even though it has only just over 500 members that's what makes it special, it's a community. The cover image (the banner like image at the top of the new Facebook pages) is blue skies with words reading, "None of your scars can make me love you any less." I see this and think to myself, this banner is being used to welcome people. People read this and can relate to wanting to be loved even with scars. Just the image alone can bring someone to join the page, it's like a welcome mat for the page. The page has scattered comments and posts, many about March 1st being Self Injury Awareness Day in which people posted words of encouragement and love.

Facebook Posts:
VW: I want to send love to all silent sufferers and love to all who dared to speak.
FK: I just want people to realize what it (self injury) really is.

But for today's updates I see a photo someone posted of their arm clear of scars thanks to Maderma scar 
gel and on her wrist she wrote fighter. This is where my idea of self injury and the body come in. Some people use cocoa butter which takes much more time to work or they use a number of different scar gels such as Maderma which is a big one in scar removal. So just one of the many ways to get rid of scars because it is far cheaper than having laser surgeries done. This girl clearly wanted her scars gone she did not want to live them plastered on her skin. Perhaps because her scars were on her wrist and arm which is visible she felt more driven to get rid of those scars and obviously she was prepared for a long slow process because scar gels take up to 8 months to work. Of course we don't know the severity of the wounds or how long she had them for but obviously she wanted them gone.
I think we all want to be perfect in some way. To be thin and pretty. To have a perfectly constructed face. To have long soft hair. Rarely do you hear someone say I want perfect skin so I can have my life back.






No comments:

Post a Comment